Thursday, July 15, 2010

I write like horror

A few moments ago I idly succumbed to the "I Write Like" meme going around on Facebook. I plugged the text of this old blog post into their analyzer and got this result:



I write like
Dan Brown

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!



Horrors! I have never read Dan Brown. Because Geoffrey K. Pullum's hilarious review at Language Log has convinced me that he is a contemporary Edward Bulwer-Lytton.

I write like Dan Brown? This aggression will not stand, man! So I try again with the text of this blog post. The result?



I write like
David Foster Wallace

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!



An improvement, I suppose. Although it seems my writing remains likely to irritate the guys at LanguageLog, even if I don't share DFW's absurd prescriptivism.

No comments:

Post a Comment